Here is a quick quote from John Piper summarizing well what it means to hope in God, found in God’s Word:
1. What is the definition of Christian hope?
Answer: a confident expectation of good things to come (Hebrews 6:11).
2. What is the ground of Christian hope?
◦ the sovereign grace of God (2 Thessalonians 2:16), and
◦ the good news that Christ died for sinners (Colossians 1:23).
3. What is the cause of Christian hope in the human heart? What brings it about and sustains it?
◦ the work of God in regeneration (1 Peter 1:3), and
◦ the promises of God in his Word (Romans 15:4).
4. What is the content of Christian hope? What are we hoping for?
◦ the appearing of Jesus Christ (Titus 2:13),
◦ the redemption of our bodies (Romans 8:23),
◦ the consummation of our righteousness (Galatians 5:5),
◦ sharing the glory of God (Romans 5:2), and
◦ inheriting eternal life (Titus 1:2; 3:7).
5. What is the fruit of our Christian hope? What comes from hope? Does hope produce anything in daily life?
Piper sermon: “The fruit of hope: joy”, desiringgod.org, July 6, 1986